Apr 16, 2008

Food Distance

With my little retentivity, I can remember studying about seasonal fruits and vegetables. But, now when I visit any of the giant retail chain stores, I can see Washington Apples, China pears, apples from Australia and New Zealand, China orange are lined in the shelf. Colourful. With globalization, not only humans but also the food they consume is traveling. Indians consume food with little food distance when compared to global powers like US and other European countries. However, the high buying power of Indians will bridge this gap very soon.

There were lots of debates going on, about the preservatives being used to keep these fruits fresh. I read an article which details about the toxic elements present in keeping the apples shiny.

This might be the right time for the government to take appropriate step in regulating the food distance.

No comments: